Saturday, November 14, 2009


today's the day my chicken expires, so I put it in the freezer. I will make something with it tomorrow!

I dipped 150 scales today and scratched on 90. I also put a half batch of 110 into the acid and will complete the second half tomorrow, and treat a full batch. no weaving today because I used up all my finished scales yesterday.

the heavy rings seem to be not heavy enough.

do you see that? the top right brass ring! the closure is slipping open! do you know what that means? I have a real excuse to do riveted rings, that's what it means! *cackle*


so! I treated 110 scales and wove 8x15 scales to *gasp* FINALLY fill in either side on the front! oh happy day! so now, each row on the front and the back are both 20 scales wide. well, alternating 20 and 21 on the front... or maybe it's 20 and 19...

man I just wish these photos would come out better. camera seems to do well with close-ups,  but I really need to get my hands on a proper tripod for the farther away ones.

Thursday, November 12, 2009


another day gone by...

I got my 30 scales finished for the day. tomorrow, I'll be treating another batch and working on a research paper or two. then, I'll weave some more scales and work on a poster project for one of my other classes. after that, I have to revise some of my other papers for another class. finally, I have a lot of reading to do. but I've got the weekend to do it, I guess.

anyway, here's a photo of the back of an arm where I had to add two expansions (I had to connect a row with 11 scales across to a row with 13 scales across).

pretty confusing, right? I don't know how many times I had to redo it.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009


whew, I did a lot of weaving today!

after I write this post, I'm going to scratch on 30 scales. I think I did 30 earlier today, too, but I can't remember anymore. most of my work on the shirt went into weaving though, and I can't remember how many I wove, either. oh well.

I have 104 scales left to fill in the sides of the front. this isn't the final length, though. I still have about six inches beyond the long sheet in the middle to fill in. I also put another half an inch onto the back, but it pretty much looks the same. I've decided to go ahead and finish the front and back, going straight down, before I fill in the sides. that way, I can keep laying it flat to work on it as long as possible! that also means that I'll have to wait to put in the leather armpits.

...I guess I can wait...


Tuesday, November 10, 2009



just been scratching on scales lately, but I grabbed a shot of the heavier rings I put in last night. they seem to hold really well, which is slightly disappointing, because I really wanted to rivet them. oh well.

hurrah! now I have to blacken them to match.


hey! I made some heavier rings for the zipper in the back out of 14 gauge brass. they hold much better! I still want to rivet them later, just for the sake of overkill.

just did 30 scales today, not much else to talk about. g'night!

Sunday, November 8, 2009


hey there!

I dipped and scratched on 60 more scales, completed treating the second half of the last batch of finished scales (100 scales), wove 40 scales onto the back, and added more grommets to the zipper. it won't be long until I can add the leather under the arms! doing some sketches to figure that bit out.

to bed on time! woohoo!